The Scoop on Sugar:
New Research Findings on Sugar and Health
Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 13:00 - 15:00 ET
Successful recipients from a 2017 CIHR-INMD grant on Sugar and Health will provide an overview of their research and findings to date, emphasizing any knowledge translation and exchange activities that have arisen as part of their work and any policy implications arising from their work. This will be followed by a moderated Q and A session.
1. Introduction of Session Chairs
Introduction by Alison Duncan, PhD, RD, FDC - Professor, Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph
2. Context and Overview
- Kaberi Dasgupta, MD,McGill University and McGill University Health Centre: "Associations of free sugars with overweight and gestational diabetes: solid vs liquid sources"
- Paul Veugelers, PhD, University of Alberta: "Not Sweet: Excessive Sugar Consumption and its Health and Economic Burden in Canada"
- Laura Anderson, PhD, McMaster University: "Evaluation of a community-based population health intervention for the reduction of sugar containing beverages in young children"
- John Sievenpiper, MD, PhD, University of Toronto: "Strategies To OPpose SUGARS with Non-nutritive sweeteners Or Water (STOP SUGARS NOW) trial: Rational, design, and update"
- Mary L'Abbe, PhD, University of Toronto: "Measuring the effects of free sugar reduction strategies on non-communicable diseases in Canada"
- David Hammond, PhD,University of Waterloo: "The efficacy and population-level impact of nutrition labelling and taxation to reduce free sugar consumption among youth and adults in Canada"
4. Panel discussion